8.14.2008

En défense de la barbe

I was in a corporate Hell meeting last week, and our CEO 'broke the ice' by telling a story about how he was at a customer site - some factory in Nowhere, PA - and was explaining healthcare economics or something to the workers at the factory. He was trying to motivate us ("the Company") by demonstrating that if you "get your hands dirty, you can achieve great things." Even after all of that corporate motivational treacle, I was still listening, and I heard something totally offensive - "So there I was, surrounded by all of these rough guys with beards who were looking at me like I was this educated..."

I'm sorry, WHAT?

The assumption here is that because these men had beards, they were "rough" and (we can infer from what followed) uneducated. I've been hearing for the past 10 years to "shave," "you look like a convict," "why would you want that on your face?"

Because I think it's hot. Not because I'm a "bear," or a "wolf" or some other subculture label. I just like the facial hair. A whole lot. In fact, it's incredibly rare for me to be attracted to guys without facial hair. I don't think I've ever dated one.

I just wanted to bitch about that for a second.

I don't mind ignorant pricks like him thinking I'm rough. I'll even prove your point by kicking your ass.


thanks to beards.org for the image

No comments: